Monday 9 March 2015

Monday Flash Fic: A Taste Like Hope



A Taste like Hope

“We made it.”

Sara smiled at the wonder in Caroline’s voice.

“Oh ye of little faith.” She loved teasing Caroline, and it was so easy to get a reaction out of her.

Sure enough, Caroline didn’t allow her to get away with it and lightly slapped her shoulder. “Yes, because you, of course, knew all along it would all work out as it did...for the best.”

The temptation was there to pretend she had known all along, that she hadn’t been worried and had trusted faith, or luck or whatever you wanted to call it, to be on their side, but while Sara had been more optimistic than Caroline, she’d never been completely certain.

“So, we’re good to go?” Suddenly Sara needed the reassurance. She’d waited for this moment. The closer they’d gotten to it, the more her doubts had grown.

“Yes.” Caroline pressed her lips against Sara’s and everything – the worries, the long wait, the ever-present insecurity – faded into the background until only Caroline and their love for each other remained in Sara’s universe.

“So, tell me what happened.”

“They kept their word. It really is that simple.” The expression on Caroline’s face showed she couldn’t quite believe it.

“We had a meeting this morning and dad asked me if I still felt the same. And you know what...?” A bright smile lit up Caroline’s face and caused a flutter in Sara’s stomach. “He wasn’t surprised when I told him my...our feelings hadn’t changed.”

“So?” Sara held her breath.

When Caroline had first told her parents she’d fallen in love with Sara and they wanted to move away together, her mother especially had been very negative. After a long and painful fight they’d compromised. If Sara and Caroline still felt the same after six months during which they’d only see each other occasionally, Caroline’s parents would accept it was not just a phase they were going through.

“I don’t think mam will ever be completely happy about the fact I won’t be bringing a husband home, but even she accepts it now. I...we have their blessing. Caroline’s eyes filled with tears. “I can have it all – my life with you and a relationship with my parents. And oh, I nearly forgot...” Caroline squeezed Sara’s hand and gave her another soft kiss. “See the car. It’s ours; a present from my father, so we can travel in comfort and safety.”

The next kiss was long and deep and hot and to Sara it tasted like hope.

****


I found this picture on the Life Gets Better Together group on Facebook. If you have the time, check them out and like them; they're well worth it. More wonderful stories based on this picture can be found in the Monday Flash Fic group, also on Facebook. 

6 comments:

  1. I love how you gave them such hope. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do love giving my characters hopeful if not happy endings, even if I don't always manage it.

      Delete
  2. Nice. If only such reasonable parents were the norm, not the exception. Maybe we're getting there, little by little though. Stories like this help. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a statistic the other day that parent's reactions like the one in my story (or even more positive ones) are becoming more normal with every passing year. It may not look that way because we still hear way too many horror stories, but apparently it is true. Hopefully the progress will continue and the day when most people will be free to choose the partner who fits them best won't be too far in the future.

      Delete
  3. Such a wonderful story full of happiness. I think they will make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison. I'm fairly sure they will make it :)

      Delete