Friday 7 November 2014

Linguistically Challenged Part 12; Chris McHart



Bio:
I’m Chris McHart and I’m a writer from Germany. My pen name is not German, it is based on my love for a lot of Scottish things (yes, kilts and whisky).
I stumbled upon English written books because I was tired of bad translations. It was kind of natural to continue in English as I started writing myself a few years ago.

I’ve got way too many animals, always not enough time and more stories in my head than I can possibly write. If I’m not busy you can find me on a few social networks, killing time until I’m running late again…

and I have a blog/webpage: http://www.ChrisMcHart.com

The questions:

-     What language do you speak most of the time?

I’m living in Germany, and I speak exclusively German. I can follow a conversation and find my way around on a vacation, but skyping with me might not be a good idea.

-     What language do you think in?

    That depends. I’m usually thinking in German, except when I’m writing or doing anything writing related, like plotting.
Now that I think about it, I guess I spend more time thinking in English, since I’m most of the time thinking about my writing.

-     What language do you dream in

I rarely remember my dreams, so I can’t say, but I do tend to daydream and these dreams are in English.

-     What language do you swear in after you’ve really hurt yourself?

German. Although a well placed f*** works pretty well, too.

-     What language are you most comfortable in?

Speaking: German. Writing: English. Sounds weird, but I actually start second guessing myself when I’m writing German. I’m checking everything I write in English, too, and I know I make grammar mistakes sometimes, but writing in German is harder than writing in English at this point.

-     How easy or difficult is it for you to switch from one language to the other?

      That occurs sometimes in chats, when I’m having one in German and one or two in English. I can switch pretty easy.
While writing I can, for example, talk to someone in German and write English at the same time, without getting out of one language.

-     Does it affect you when you’re in a group where both languages are being spoken?

I haven’t been much in this situation, but yes, that confuses me.

-     Do you ever speak the ‘wrong’ language to someone?

That happens, yes. Most of the time when I get interrupted while writing or when I’m thinking about my writing. I also sometimes just use an English word in a German sentence. That tends to confuse people a bit.

-     Would you translate yourself from one language into the other or ask someone else (professional) to do it?
I’ve thought about that, but I don’t know if I could do it. I plan on trying, though. J

-     If size of (potential) market wasn’t an issue what language would you be writing in?

I’m most comfortable in English right now, but I’m planning to write in German some day.

Thanks to Helena again, and I look forward to comments!

Chris’s latest release:



Blurb:
Dean believes love is never wrong, but is that still true if there's a twenty-one year age gap? 

Jeff was raised to believe love between two men is wrong. Or is it? Can love ever be wrong? When Jeff meets the much younger Dean, he only knows he wants him, consequences be damned. But things are not as easy, especially after Jeff's ex calls and announces big news. 

And Dean? He thinks the new neighbor is hot, but he's not interested in anything more than a rebound fuck. That's what he tells himself, at least. But lust isn't a good basis for a relationship, more so since Jeff isn't sure whether he can deal with being gay. 

Love is never wrong, but can Jeff accept that?

Excerpt:

The deep voice, coming from behind me, shot shivers down my spine. I turned. My gaze traveled up and down the man standing in front of me, and holy shit. Short, dark brown hair with grey at the temples highlighted the sharp features of his good-looking, angular face. And he had a body that made me want to beg. I didn’t know what to beg for, just that I wanted to. Damn. Muscles defined his arms, not too obvious, but clearly there. Along with the slight padding on his hips, his appearance gave me the impression that he might work out, but was definitely not obsessed with it. He was somewhere around the age of forty, forty-five, if I guessed right. A man of my tastes.

Buy Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment