Monday 20 October 2014

Same Idea, Different Name

Two weeks ago I decided to try my hand at flash fiction and enjoyed it so much I did it again a week later. The comments to both posts stated the readers' wish for more of the story. And, if I’m perfectly honest, both flashes kicked off longer stories in my own head too.

When a friend suggested the picture below for this week’s post I was intrigued. And as soon as I’d finished the piece I knew I would one day want to expand on the 200 words I’d written.

I’ve therefore decided to rename this weekly event. What was called ‘Flash Fiction Monday’ for two weeks will henceforth be known as ‘Story Prompt Monday’. Whether or not I’ll ever get to write any of these longer stories is anybody’s guess, but, for the moment at least, that is the plan.



Faerie Door


I stared at the door. I knew I’d never seen it before. I had no idea where it had come from or where it might take me if I entered.

The sounds behind me were getting louder. It wouldn’t be much longer before they caught up with me. I still couldn’t believe my fate. I’d known I might be cast out if they ever discovered my true nature; the death penalty had taken me by surprise. My people hadn’t killed anyone in a generation at least.

A soft melody mingled with the shouts closing in on me. It lured me forward, closer to the door. There were no words to the song and yet I could hear the invitation. Still I hesitated, wondering if a known and painful death was really worse than the unknown waiting for me on the other side. The melody and the underlying words were pulling at me and I took a step forward. With every step the words I couldn’t hear became clearer, until it was an invitation I didn’t want to resist. I reached for the handle and pressed, answering the call.

Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild


Those last two lines were taken from William Butler Yeats’ poem, Stolen Child. Here’s a link to The Waterboys’ song of the same title, which incorporates the poem. It’s beautiful and can be heard here: 




2 comments:

  1. Nice. Want me to find you another pic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do. For some reason I don't think I should be picking them myself.

      Delete